Church History

East Lemonweir

 

East Lemonweir's history really reaches back to the 1850's when Norsemen began to settle in the vicinity of the Lemonweir River, Lindina Township, Juneau County, Wisconsin. Those early Norwegian settlers organized a churchyard which they asked Rev. H. A. Preus to dedicate. Twelve families numbering 43 individuals made the request. Pr. Preus preached and taught the East Lemonweir congregation an average of 4 times a year over the next 11 years. Thereafter they called Pr. St. S. Reque to preach and visit the congregation 6 times a year. Pr. Reque undertook many missionary journeys, both in the area and as far as northern Minnesota and Texas, all with the blessing of the congregation.

In 1874 the present building was constructed for 2 reasons listed in the records: 1. "The church we have now is so small...there is not room for the people....and this fact no doubt keeps many from coming to church. 2. "In winter the church is so cold that people take the risk of suffering from the cold and this no doubt keeps many from coming to church."

It's no longer cold or crowded at East Lemonweir, we are equipped with handicapped accessibility and air conditioning and an elevator. For over 150 years we have been gathering to praise God, hear the Good News of Jesus Christ and be filled with God's Spirit! the congregation 6 times a year. Pr. Reque undertook many missionary journeys, both in the area and as far as northern Minnesota and Texas, all with the blessing of the congregation.


Bethany History


 

Bethany Lutheran church was organized in 1943, Pastor Urberg was their first minister. The following year the Ladies Aid was organized and by October first 1945, Bethany had its own place of worship (Gage School purchased and placed on a lot). In 1946 Bethany Lutheran was established on a permanent basis.

In 1950 Sarnow School was purchased and attached to the building. 1953 Rev. Sidney Jorgensen was called as pastor. The next several years saw the formation of a senior choir, new furnishings, Rev. Donald Olson called, then Rev. E. O. Gilberts.

In 1962 a new site was purchased and 5 years later Rev. J. Midtling came and groundbreaking and blessing ceremonies were held. Then in 1968 there was a service of taking leave of the old church and dedication of the new building was held on September 8th.

In the next few years the new parsonage was built and Pr. John Soltvedt, Pr. Harvey Frye, Pr. Tim Quarberg and Pr. David Carls each served as pastors of the church. The Food Pantry was organized and opened June 15,1989 and is serving the greater New Lisbon area to this day. In 1993 Bethany celebrated 50 years in ministry!


© 2018 BETHANY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community